City of Los Angeles Personnel Department
How to ApplyLos Angeles Fire Department
This PBA is for Firefighter applicants. If you are applying for Law Enforcement Officer, click here.
Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Los Angeles. Unfortunately, the City's financial situation has resulted in a reduction in the Firefighter hiring plan, and it would be best to visit www.joinlafd.org for any latest updates. If you would like to submit a request for e-mail notification should this examination open for filing again, please do so by clicking here.
- The first step in the selection process is the completion of the Preliminary Background Application (PBA).
- Upon completion of the PBA, you will receive feedback indicating the impact that any of your background issues may have on your candidacy.
- The following are the minimum requirements that must be met at the time of filing your application:
- AGE & EDUCATION:
- At least 18 years of age at the time of application. Graduation from a U.S. high school or equivalent, G.E.D. or equivalent from a U.S. institution, or a California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE) certificate is required.
- Once you have completed the PBA, and after you have reviewed the feedback and decided if your background will meet the established standards, you will be allowed to continue on and complete the application. *Note: the application can only be completed and filed on-line.
- Upon submission of the on-line application, you will be scheduled for the Firefighter multiple-choice written test. The written test is administered monthly. You should receive notification of your test date within 30 days of submitting your application.
- To fill out a PBA and start the application process, click here.
An Equal Opportunity Employer