The Information Technology Agency (ITA) intends to fill two (2) Communications
Electrician vacancies in the Infrastructure Bureau, Data Network Operations Section. The reporting location is City Hall East, 200 North Main Street, Los Angeles, CA.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The positions will perform the following duties including, but not limited to:
- Install, repair, and maintain Internet Protocol (IP) data network infrastructure, including Local Area Network (LAN), Wide Area Network (WAN), Metropolitan Area Network (MAN), Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP), Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN), and Fiber Optic networks.
- Install, configure, repair, and maintain, routers, switches, T1 and T3 Channel Service Unit (CSU) and Data Service Unit (DSU), fiber optic equipment including Fujitsu and Dense Wavelength-Division Multiplexing (DWDM).
- Troubleshoot, isolate, and resolve IP, VoIP, and WLAN network connectivity and performance issues utilizing network monitoring and analysis tools such as NetBrain, NetMRI, Insfosim, Inifinistream Sniffer, WiFi analyzers, and VoIP analyzers. Work with other communications staff, System Programmers, telephone company technicians, contractors, vendors, and employees from other City departments.
- Assemble and construct equipment racks, cabinets, and chassis.
- Fabricate metal work.
- Calibrate, pull, terminate, cross-connect test equipment, and certify fiber optic and copper cables.
- Provide spot checks of contractor work, keep work records, and write reports.
- Make drawings of installations, correct, and update documentation of drawings as required from site check information.
- Meet with customers to determine their needs and recommend solutions.
Positions are assigned to the night shift (1:00 PM, through 10:30 PM).
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY
- Minimum of 2 years in the class of Communications Electrician.
The selection process will consist of an interview with a panel of department managers who will evaluate each applicant based on responses to a series of questions. A review of the candidate’s work history, personnel file, attendance record, and consultation with current supervisor will also be completed as part of the selection process.