Los Angeles Fire and Police Pensions (LAFPP) has a transfer opportunity for one (1) Benefits Specialist in the Deferred Retirement Option Plan (DROP)/Service Pensions section. Under the guidance of either a Senior Benefits Analyst or Benefits Analyst, the duties of the position may include the following:
· Process retirement applications, DROP entries and/or DROP exits, including the scheduling of appointments to start the retirement/DROP (entry) application process and to end member participation in DROP (exits).
· Conduct research and obtains supporting documentation from a variety of sources (PaySR, MOUs, internal databases, etc.) for accurate calculation/distribution of benefits.
· Work directly with the City Attorney for direction related to dissolution judgments and division of pension benefits and with the parties involved (members/former spouses).
· Work with other City departments to resolve discrepancies in payroll data; generate estimates, process all payroll documents and related correspondence; maintain databases and prepare documents to stop and reissue payments.
· Counsel members and alternate payees regarding eligibility for pension benefits, benefits options, legal requirements and consequences with divorce, survivor benefits, documentation required, etc.
· Other duties as assigned
Well organized candidates with excellent customer service and excellent oral and written communications skills are highly desired. LAFPP offers a 5/40 or 9/80 work schedule and a tuition reimbursement program. The work location is at 701 E. 3rd Street, Suite 200, Los Angeles, CA 90013.
Interested candidates should submit a completed Departmental Application, resume, and two most recent performance evaluations (if available) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 4:00 pm on Tuesday, July 12, 2022. Submitted material will be reviewed to determine a reasonable number of candidates with the most relevant background and experience to interview. Candidates selected for interview will be contacted by LAFPP staff at a later date.