Los Angeles Fire and Police Pensions (LAFPP) has a transfer opportunity for one (1) Benefits Specialist in the Retirement Service section. Under the guidance of either a Senior Benefits Analyst or Benefits Analyst, the duties of the position may include the following:
· Processes final payments to survivors and estates of deceased members which includes calculating amounts (refunds/overpayments), data entry into LAFPP's Pension Administration System (CPAS) and preparing various correspondence. Gathers the necessary documentation (notarized applications and affidavits) from the survivors/estates.
· Counsels members, survivors, and minors in person, through email, telephone, and video conferencing explaining all benefits payable based upon Plan provisions in the Los Angeles City Charter/Administrative Code. Prepares responses to survivorship pension estimate requests and explains continuance provisions to members and their beneficiaries.
· Receives calls and correspondence regarding member/survivor deaths. Terminates pension benefits and prepares correspondence to the survivors or estate. Works with Accounting Section to stop checks or reverse direct deposit pension payments.
· Assists Senior Benefits Analyst or Benefits Analyst with deceased members' end of year adjustments to1099-Rs. Assists with collection of overpayments from survivors/estate of deceased members with the assistance of outside vendors/entities.
· Processes qualified surviving spouse and minor pension applications which includes calculating pension amounts, data entry into CPAS, and counseling the applicants. Gathers the necessary documentation (marriage and death certificates, notarized applications and affidavits). Requests letters of guardianship, POA, etc. as required.
· Backup to Community Property desk which processes divorces, community property estimates, wage assignments and tax levies
· Other duties as assigned
Well organized candidates with excellent customer service and excellent oral and written communications skills are highly desired. LAFPP offers a 5/40 or 9/80 work schedule and a tuition reimbursement program. The work location is at 701 E. 3rd Street, Suite 200, Los Angeles, CA 90013.
Interested candidates should submit a completed Departmental Application, resume, and two most recent performance evaluations (if available) via email to email@example.com, no later than 4:00 pm on Tuesday, July 12, 2022. Submitted material will be reviewed to determine a reasonable number of candidates with the most relevant background and experience to interview. Candidates selected for interview will be contacted by LAFPP staff at a later date.