The Los Angeles City Ethics Commission is responsible for administering and enforcing City laws relating to governmental ethics, campaign financing, and lobbying. The Ethics Commission seeks an impartial and knowledgeable professional to serve as senior auditor. Key duties include overseeing and performing campaign finance audits relating to City candidates and officeholders, Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Education (LAUSD) candidates, and their controlled committees. Other duties include training and supervising auditors, auditing non-candidate committees that are active in City and LAUSD elections, auditing for compliance with the lobbying laws, auditing candidate claims for public matching funds, and synthesizing data for policy analyses. The position reports to the Director of Audits, works closely with other division and agency staff, and interacts regularly with candidates and campaign treasurers.
The position demands a highly organized, analytical, and self-motivated individual, who demonstrates the following qualifications:
• Knowledge of standard accounting and auditing principles.
• Ability to use a variety of software, including Excel and other Microsoft Office programs.
• Ability to understand and apply the laws within the Ethics Commission’s jurisdiction.
• Ability to understand, interpret, and effectively communicate statistical data.
• Ability to pay focused attention to detail and identify discrepancies and patterns.
• Ability to successfully manage auditors.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills.
• Exceptional judgment and analytical skills.
• Flexibility and an ability to successfully juggle competing priorities.
• Ability to work well under pressure and in a politically sensitive environment.
• Ability to work well both independently and as a member of a diverse team.
The successful candidate must forego personal involvement in any political or partisan activity.
Training and Experience
A degree from an accredited college or university with an emphasis in accounting, finance, or related field is required. Significant relevant experience may be substituted for the educational requirement.
The starting salary is $78,675, with fixed periodic increases and a top salary of $115,007.
Application ProcessEmail the following to email@example.com: cover letter; résumé; a writing sample that is no more than five pages long. Applications must be submitted by May 31, 2022, but the application window may close at any time. For additional information, contact Deputy Executive Director Heather Holt at (213) 978-1960