MICHAEL N. FEUER
LOS ANGELES CITY ATTORNEY
DEPUTY CITY ATTORNEY
WORKERS’ COMPENSATION DIVISION
CIVIL LITIGATION BRANCH
SALARY RANGE: $87,821 - $206,524
POSITION: The Workers’ Compensation Division of the Office of the City Attorney has immediate openings for one or more attorneys.
DIVISION: The Workers’ Compensation Division is responsible for defending the City of Los Angeles in industrial injury claims litigated before the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Attorneys in the Workers’ Compensation Division represent the City of Los Angeles in workers’ compensation cases filed by City employees. The responsibilities of these positions require appearances before the Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board (WCAB) and on occasion, in the State Appellate Courts. The City also has several Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) programs in operation and some attorneys will be required to handle mediation and arbitration for claims filed by city employees who are covered by ADR Agreements. The WCAB is a state administrative agency with exclusive jurisdiction over disputed employee claims for benefits for injuries arising out of employment. Pre-trial discovery and appellate processes often accompany these cases.
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants for this position must have a license to practice law in all of the courts in the State of California. Additional requirements include:
· A minimum of four (4) years of experience practicing in California workers' compensation law;
· Familiarity with medical terms and the ability to analyze medical reports and diagnostic records;
· Familiarity with WCAB rules and regulations and hearing procedures;
· An understanding of the California disability rating system;
· Attorneys must be willing and able to handle a case load that requires travel throughout Southern California for court appearances, as well as perform other duties as assigned.
· Demonstrated excellent research and writing skills in complex areas of law;
· Familiarity with ADR programs and the ability to represent the City in mediation and arbitration in ADR claims;
· Ability to deal effectively with public officials, personnel from many City Departments, and members of the public;
· Strong oral communication skills; and
· Appellate experience.
WRITING SAMPLE: Candidates are required to submit a writing sample. A Petition for Reconsideration, Trial Brief or Petition for Writ of Review are preferred.
PROBATION: Appointment to these exempt positions (non-Civil-Service) will be subject to a two (2) year probationary period as required by Section 1050 of the City Charter. Successful completion of the two (2) year probationary period will result in tenure with the office.
REQUIREMENT: For candidates seeking initial City employment, in accordance with Los Angeles City Ordinance 187134, information regarding COVID-19 vaccination requirements as conditions of employment may be found at: https://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2021/21-0921_ord_187134_8-24-21.pdf.
AND DEADLINE: Attorneys interested in applying should submit a resume, writing sample, and cover letter specifying “DCA – WORKERS’ COMPENSATION” in ONE (1) pdf file via email only to email@example.com.
Resumes will be accepted until positions are filled.
Selected applicants will be invited to interview.
OF INTEREST: These positions are designated Category 20 on Schedule B of the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Conflict of Interest Code.
AS A COVERED ENTITY UNDER TITLE II OF THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT, THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF DISABILITY AND, UPON REQUEST, WILL PROVIDE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION TO ENSURE EQUAL ACCESS TO ITS PROGRAMS, SERVICES AND ACTIVITIES. TO REQUEST A REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL (213) 978-7160.