MICHAEL N. FEUER
LOS ANGELES CITY ATTORNEY
LEGAL SECRETARY I
CIVIL, CRIMINAL AND MUNICIPAL BRANCHES
ANNUAL SALARY: $50,132 - $73,288
OPENING: There are immediate openings for Legal Secretary I in various sections of the Civil Litigation Branch, Criminal and Special Litigation Branch and Municipal Law Branch.
RESPONSIBILITIES: This position serves as secretary to attorneys or administrators performing a full range of secretarial duties, including taking and transcribing dictation, taking minutes of meetings, typing and proofreading; maintaining databases, filing systems and appointment calendars; answering inquiries from the public or employees of other agencies over the telephone or in person; and ordering office supplies. Must demonstrate the ability to maintain the status of cases being handled; have knowledge of legal and administrative procedures, and sources of information. In addition, this position will assist with the general office workload and will learn all of the functions of the office and complete other duties as assigned. In addition to these general duties, additional assignment specific responsibilities may apply.
REQUIREMENTS: All applicants are required to meet the following qualifications:
• Applicants are required to pass a typing test at 60 wpm net with five (5) errors maximum; *
• Applicants are required to pass a spelling test with five (5) errors maximum and;**
• Applicants are required to pass a letter writing exercise;**
• At least one year performing clerical or secretarial duties is required;
• Applicants must be proficient in Microsoft Word and have knowledge of legal procedures and terminology;
• This position requires a fast and accurate typist who pays close attention to detail, is able to work under pressure with minimal supervision, and can perform in a team environment;
• Reliable attendance and punctuality are mandatory.
• Applicants must be able to lift boxes (up to 25 lbs);
The hours for this position are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
QUALIFICATIONS: The following qualifications are highly desirable:
Knowledge of state and federal court rules, litigation document preparation under the California Court system’s filing requirement and procedures including electronic filings.
PROBATION: Appointment to this exempt position (non Civil-Service) will be subject to a one (1) Year probationary period as required by Section 1050 of the City Charter. Successful completion of the one (1) year probationary period will result in tenure with the office.
REQUIREMENT: For candidates seeking initial City employment, in accordance with Los Angeles City Ordinance 187134, information regarding COVID-19 vaccination requirements as conditions of employment may be found at: https://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2021/21-0921_ord_187134_8-24-21.pdf.
* The City Attorney’s Office will not be administering typing tests to candidates. Please see the attached “Typing Certification Requirements.”
** Applicants who meet the Typing Certification Requirement will be contacted and scheduled to complete the letter composition exercise and spelling portions of the Legal Secretary test.
Selected applicants will be contacted to interview.
Testing will remain ongoing as positions become available.
This position will remain open until filled.