Grant Specialist Job Description
Department: Mayor’s Office of Public Safety
Position: Grant Specialist – Exempt Position – Grant Funded
Duties and Responsibilities: Administers State and Federal grants related to homeland security, emergency preparedness and public safety, and assists in formulating policy with respect to the allocation of these grant funds.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Managing grant projects for public safety agencies in the City of Los Angeles,
County of Los Angeles, and/or other subrecipients;
• Managing and reconciling grant budget allocations, reviewing/approving grant
expenditures, and ensuring grant spending deadlines are met;
• Monitoring subrecipient compliance with grant requirements and applying City,
State and Federal regulations, as applicable; preparing requests and progress
reports to Grantors; and providing information related to City, State and Federal
• Securing and maintaining relationships with Grantors and subrecipients;
• Conducting grant trainings and participating in the facilitation of quarterly
meetings with subrecipients;
• Writing reports to the City Council regarding grant acceptance and status, and
attending Committee and Council meetings, as necessary;
• Preparing written briefings to the Mayor regarding emergency preparedness,
homeland security and public safety issues; and
• Attending emergency preparedness, homeland security and public safety events
on behalf of, or with, the Mayor.
Requirements: An undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university but Master’s Degree preferred. A minimum of two years professional experience in grant/project management and implementation, or equivalent experience, including monitoring and management of program and fiscal components of large government contracts; ability to conduct compliance assessments and budgetary analyses; excellent communication skills and ability to work with Grantors, City department staff, community representatives, and elected officials; experience and strong track record working as part of a team, while also demonstrating initiative and ability to work independently; strong research and writing skills; and proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint software programs.
Salary: Compensation will be negotiated within an established annual salary range
commensurate with demonstrated skills and work experience. Excellent benefits.
Note: This Grant Specialist is an exempt, at-will position. The incumbent will not accrue any civil service tenure or
contractual employment rights in such position. This Grant Specialist may be removed, without cause, by the hiring