The Assistant General Manager Position (Deputy Chief Information Officer)
The ITA has three Assistant General Managers (AGMs), Deputy CIOs, that serve under the direction of the General Manager (City of Los Angeles CIO). The AGMs work closely with their division managers, senior members of other City departments, the City Council and the office of the Mayor. This AGM position leads and manages the Infrastructure Bureau, comprised of four divisions:
Voice & Data Communication Services Division: Sections within this Division are Transport Engineering (Citywide Fiber Network, Material Support, Data Integration), Data Network Engineering (Citywide and LAPD), Network Control Center (Data installation, maintenance and construction), and Network and Connectivity Management (Firewalls, proxy services, remote access, domain controllers). Sections also include Voice/Call Center Network Engineering, Telephone Management (Citywide telephone cost accounting and cellular and mobile support), Intrusion Alarms/Command Post/Citywide Voice Support (Voice network installation, maintenance and construction, LAPD/LAFD command post set up and operation, security alarm and camera installation and maintenance), and Citywide Facilities and Systems (Prop Q and F projects for new construction).
Public Safety Communications Engineering Services Division: Sections within this Division are Voice and Radio Transmission (Radio and Microwave repair, maintenance and installation), Dispatch Center and MDT (LAPD/LAFD Mobile Data Radio & Dispatch Center Systems Engineering Mobile Data Transmitter support), Shop Services (Mobile services, maintenance and installation, fabrication, Aviation installation and maintenance), Field Services (Base installation, maintenance and construction, Microwave operation and support, Data transport and Alarm maintenance), and LA RICS Engineering.
Enterprise Systems & Operations Division (Data Center): Manages the City’s 24/7 data center and provides citywide systems infrastructure support for key financial, business, and public safety systems. Includes distributed computing systems, Cloud infrastructure, enterprise identity management and remote teleworking platform, enterprise storage, and other data center operations. This includes support for a disaster recovery hotsite located in another state.
The main responsibilities of the AGM position is to manage the provision of public safety and information technology services including, but not limited to, computing infrastructure and security, voice, data, radio, and video communications on a seven-day a week, 24-hour a day basis. The AGM must plan, organize, coordinate, and direct the activities of the Bureau and apply sound management principles and techniques in building and maintaining an effective workforce. Additionally the AGM will assist the GM in formulating and implementing policies, programs, procedures, and standards for the activities of the ITA, as well as setting and aligning IT vision and strategy with the department’s overall objectives and resources.
For the Assistant General Manager position, a bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university in information technology, management information systems, business information systems, electrical engineering, communications engineering, computer engineering, or a closely related field is desired. The ideal candidate will have at least five years of significant, full-time paid management responsibility overseeing information technology operations, with an emphasis on project management, communications services, or infrastructure support. Experience with public safety technology systems, government IT management, or disaster recovery/critical business resumption is highly desirable.
The Ideal Candidate
In addition to meeting the educational and experience requirements listed above, the ideal candidate for the AGM position will:
- Set the mission and vision for the Infrastructure Bureau, in partnership with the CIO;
- Provide leadership, coaching and direction to the Infrastructure Bureau leadership team, professional employees, and field staff;
- Act as a trusted IT infrastructure technical advisor to the CIO and other IT leaders/City executives;
- Maintain currency on new infrastructure technologies/platforms and provide direction on what technologies should be introduced to meet the needs of our internal and external customers;
- Leverage influence and negotiation skills across City departments and IT staff to enable cost-effective and innovative shared solutions;
- Lead the Infrastructure Bureau as a change agent who assists staff in the transitioning to new infrastructure platforms, while maintaining service levels for existing platforms;
- Champion Infrastructure Bureau involvement in innovation efforts to take advantage of opportunities;
- Serve on internal and external IT policymaking committees; drive the development of enterprise technology standards, governance processes and performance metrics to ensure IT infrastructure delivers value to the City of L.A.
- Negotiate and partner with vendors to deliver cost effective, innovative infrastructure solutions to support City and ITA strategic objectives.
We invite you to learn more about the City’s Information Technology Agency by visiting www.ita.lacity.org
Salary and Benefits
The Assistant General Manager salary range is $145,032.48–$217,861.92. Starting salary within the range for the position will depend on the selected candidate’s qualifications. The City also provides the selected candidate with a competitive benefits package including health and dental plans, vacation and sick leave, voluntary deferred compensation plans, life insurance, dependent child/elder care expense reimbursement and pension through the City’s Employees’ Retirement System.