DIRECTOR, UNIFIED HOMELESSNESS RESPONSE CENTER
Location: 500 E. Temple St., Los Angeles, CA 90012 (and occasionally at City Hall)
Terms: Full Time, Exempt
Position: Director, Unified Homelessness Response Center, Mayor’s Office of City Homelessness Initiatives
The Mayor’s Office of City Homelessness Initiatives implements Mayor Garcetti’s homelessness strategy for the City of Los Angeles. We work with city departments, other government partners, private partners, and academics to develop and implement strategies that make the City more livable and equitable for all Angelenos.
Mayor Garcetti launched the Unified Homelessness Response Center (UHRC) with a clear purpose: to create a central command post for the City’s daily efforts to tackle the crisis of unsheltered homelessness. The UHRC brings every facet of City leadership into a single headquarters to coordinate street-level responses to homelessness, so that outreach teams, sanitation crews, law enforcement, and critical City, County, and State partners are working hand-in-hand every single day.
The UHRC is the backbone of the City’s street strategies. And when emergencies strike, the UHRC is a one-stop shop for critical coordination across agencies and a center for smart solutions to protect our most vulnerable residents. The UHRC is driven by data. Using powerful ArcGIS mapping tools and technology, the center’s staff use constantly-updated data and intelligence to see the greatest needs on our streets, measure where encampments are and what impact they have on a neighborhood, and connect operations across departments to ensure that City resources are deployed efficiently and effectively.
This is a rare opportunity to manage and oversee day-to-day operations of the UHRC. The Director will represent the Mayor in the UHRC and provide policy direction and guidance to departments.
The UHRC Director will manage and oversee the UHRC’s daily operations. The Director will be responsible for advancing key Mayoral initiatives, conducting research and analysis, and providing direct assistance to departments in achieving priorities and improving day-to-day operations and responses to homelessness.
Job duties include:
• Managing and overseeing daily UHRC operations
• Coordinating with City, County, State, and other partners to plan, execute,
monitor, and evaluate street-based homelessness strategies
• Implementing the City’s outreach, engagement, and clean-up protocols
• Accelerating continuous improvement and process mapping to help identify gaps in service and developing innovative solutions
• Identifying root causes and bottlenecks in service delivery, as well as
opportunities for partnerships and collaborations
• Employing data-driven strategies and deployment of resources
• Undertaking data analysis on department operations and service needs
• Emphasizing clear goals across departments and bust silos
• Creating dashboards and other visualizations to help City executives and top
leadership make decisions Skills and Experience:
• Overseeing cross-departmental communication and coordination, including
moving multiple departments or agencies toward a common goal
• Working cross-collaboratively with multiple agencies, departments, or teams
• Directing a multi-agency coordination center, inter-disciplinary task force, or
• emergency response center or command post
• Managing complex projects
Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
This is an exempt, at-will position. The individual appointed to this position will not accrue any civil service tenure, contractual employment rights, or due process rights. The incumbent may be removed, without any finding of cause, by the hiring authority. The City of Los Angeles is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and, upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services and activities. Please call (213) 473-5750 if you need assistance.