Department: Mayor’s Office of Public Safety / Gang Reduction & Youth Development
Position: Accountant – Exempt Position
Duties and Responsibilities: Assist with duties and tasks related to the financial management and reporting of City contracts, State and Federal grants, including:
- Review subrecipient transactions submitted to the City to ensure compliance with contract
requirements, accurate accounting, reporting of grant funds, adherence to budget limitations, and timely
submission of financial reports;
- Process encumbrance and payment transactions within the City Financial Management System (FMS
- Assist in preparing financial reports of revenue and expenditure in accordance with grant requirements;
- Prepare single audit schedules and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) conversion
- Upload invoices into Invoice Tracking system;
- Assist with budget review & budget modifications;
- Conduct periodic fiscal monitoring visits of contracted agencies;
- Provide technical assistance to agencies via phone or in person;
- Other related duties and tasks, as assigned.
Requirements: An undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university. Must have at least 24 semester/36 quarter units in accounting, or a major in accounting, or at least two years of accounting experience at the level of City Accountant.
Must possess excellent customer service, verbal and written communication skills. Must have experience and strong track record working with community-based organizations, working as part of a team, while also demonstrating initiative and ability to work independently.
Must possess working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), other governmental regulations and cost principles (i.e. OMB circulars), data processing principles as they apply to accounting, and general auditing principles; as well as proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel programs.
Salary: Compensation will be negotiated within an established annual salary range commensurate with
demonstrated skills and work experience. Excellent benefits.