MICHAEL N. FEUER
LOS ANGELES CITY ATTORNEY
DEPUTY CITY ATTORNEY
CIVIL APPELLATE DIVISION
CIVIL LITIGATION BRANCH
SALARY RANGE: $107,991 - $206,524
POSITION: Attorney in the Civil Appellate Division
SECTION: The Division handles appeals and writs arising out of civil litigation in a variety of areas including personal injury, dangerous condition of public property, state and federal civil rights laws, employment law, municipal law, constitutional law, homelessness, complex commercial litigation, and public health law. The Division represents the City and occasionally the People of the State of California as amicus curiae in appeals that touch on areas of law with potential impact on the City and on issues of state-wide and nation-wide importance. The Division occasionally advises the City Council on legal issues. The attorneys in this Division practice in all California and federal appellate courts, including the United States and California Supreme Courts. The attorneys in the Division also occasionally assist in law and motion practice at the trial court level.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The selected attorney will be responsible for:
1. Handling writs and appeals on behalf of the City and its individual employees in federal and state appellate courts, including all briefs and oral argument;
2. Drafting dispositive law and motion filings and post-trial motions for relief in high-exposure civil litigation matters; and providing procedural and substantive research and input to trial attorneys;
3. Preparing regular written reports and updates on the status of pending matters to the Executive Office;
4. Attending mediations and settlement conferences;
5. Attending City Council hearings related to appeals handled by the Division and,
6. Participating in the Office’s risk management efforts.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants for this position must have a license to practice law in all of the courts in the State of California. Additional requirements include:
1. Seven or more years of practice, at least five with primary focus on appellate practice or law and motion;
2. Demonstrated high level of skill in legal research, writing and analysis;
3. Excellent oral advocacy skills;
4. Demonstrated ability to regularly and carefully read, review and summarize large records, including reporter’s transcripts in excess of 1,000 pages and multiple volumes of court documents.
5. Proficient in the use of legal technology, including in particular LEXIS and WORD.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Previous experience and background in government tort liability and immunities; dangerous condition of public property; 42 USC 1983 and federal civil rights law; employment Law; and the California Public Records Act.
Admission to practice before federal appellate courts, the Ninth Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Certification with the State Bar as an Appellate Specialist.
WRITING SAMPLES: Candidates are required to submit two writing samples personally composed by the applicant in the past two years.
PROBATION: Appointment to these exempt positions (non-Civil-Service) will be subject to a two (2) year probationary period as required by Section 1050 of the City Charter. Successful completion of the two (2) year probationary period will result in tenure with the office.
AND DEADLINE: Attorneys interested in applying should submit their resume, writing samples, and cover letter in ONE (1) merged PDF FILE, indicating, “DCA – CIVIL LIABILITY APPEALS DIVISION” in the subject line, to email@example.com.
Selected applicants will be invited to interview.
Interviews ongoing until the position is filled.
OF INTEREST: This position is designated Category 2, on the Conflict of Interest Code.
AS A COVERED ENTITY UNDER TITLE II OF THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT, THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF DISABILITY AND, UPON REQUEST, WILL PROVIDE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION TO ENSURE EQUAL ACCESS TO ITS PROGRAMS, SERVICES AND ACTIVITIES.TO REQUEST A REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL (213) 978-7160.