MICHAEL N. FEUER
DEPUTY CITY ATTORNEY
AFFIRMATIVE LITIGATION DIVISION
CIVIL LITIGATION BRANCH
SALARY RANGE: $107,991 - $206,524
POSITION: There is an immediate opening for an experienced attorney in the Affirmative Litigation Division of the Civil Litigation Branch.
DIVISION: The Affirmative Litigation Division pursues complex, high impact matters focused on a variety of areas, including consumer protection, wage theft, and unfair business and housing practices. To seek redress in these areas, the Office has the authority to bring civil law enforcement actions using, primarily, the Unfair Competition Law and the False Advertising Law.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The primary responsibility of the attorney selected for this position will be prosecuting civil law enforcement actions.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants for this position must have a license to practice law in all of the courts in the State of California. Additional requirements include:
1. Six or more years of civil litigation experience concerning complex, document intensive litigation matters;
2. Demonstrated high-level written and oral communication skills;
3. Strong analytical and strategical skills;
4. Significant experience taking and defending depositions, and drafting and arguing dispositive motions; and
5. Strong desire to serve the public interest.
Additional desired considerations include:
1. Experience litigating cases brought pursuant to Business & Professions Code Section 17200 et seq.
2. Experience and ability to work with governmental agencies, elected officials, public officials, and individual citizens;
3. Interest in and ability to identify issues that could be pursued through affirmative litigation; and
4. Experience working with local, state, and federal law enforcement and regulatory agencies, and consumer, and other advocacy groups.
WRITING SAMPLE: Candidates are required to submit two (2) writing samples.
PROBATION: Appointment to these exempt positions (non-Civil-Service) will be subject to a two year probationary period as required by Section 1050 of the City Charter. Successful completion of the two year probationary period will result in tenure with the office.
APPLICATION AND DEADLINE: Attorneys interested in applying should submit their resume, writing samples, and cover letter in ONE (1) PDF, indicating, “DCA – AFFIRMATIVE LITIGATION DIVISION” in the subject line, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position announcement will remain open until position is filled.
Selected applicants who meet the required qualifications will be invited to interview.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST: This position is designated Category 4 on Schedule B of the Los Angeles City Attorney Conflict of Interest Code.
AS A COVERED ENTITY UNDER TITLE II OF THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT, THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF DISABILITY AND, UPON REQUEST, WILL PROVIDE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION TO ENSURE EQUAL ACCESS TO ITS PROGRAMS, SERVICES AND ACTIVITIES.TO REQUEST A REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL (213) 978-7160.