THE CITY HAS A JOB FOR YOU
700 EAST TEMPLE STREET - ROOM 100
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA 90012
Please call the above telephone number to have an application mailed to you
24 HR. JOB LINE (213) 847-9424
TDD (213) 847-9267
ranges for the two grades in this class are $2815 to $3497 and $2971 to $3692 a month. Candidates from the eligible list are normally appointed to the lower salary range. Bonuses are paid for night work.
An Animal Control Officer enforces State and City ordinances dealing with the care, treatment, licensing, and impounding of animals in an assigned area of the City; picks up sick, injured, stray, vicious or unwanted animals; makes humane investigations, permit inspections, issues citations, and makes arrests; and keeps records and prepares reports which may be used as legal evidence.
- One year full-time paid experience performing animal care, maintenance or control on domestic or wild animals; or
- Successful completion of 12 semester units or 18 quarter units in a recognized college or university in Animal Science, Animal Management, Administration of Justice, or related course work.
- Achievement of a qualifying score on the Physical Abilities Test for Animal Control Officer.
An equivalent combination of experience and education in Requirements 1 and 2 may also be accepted. (i.e., 12 semester units equal one year of experience).
Candidates who lack six months or less of the required experience may file for this examination. However, they cannot be appointed until the full experience requirement is met.
APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED ON THE CITY APPLICATION FORM. Applications will be received at the following locations:
A signed supplemental questionnaire indicating that applicants understand the working conditions and requirements of the job must be submitted with the application form. This questionnaire will not be separately scored but will be provided to the employing department for discussion during the appointment process.
Filing may be closed without prior notice after a sufficient number of applications are received. Immediate vacancies will be filled from among those who apply first. Other vacancies will be filled as the need arises. For administrative purposes, filing will close periodically and will reopen the following work day. Candidates will be notified of the time and place of the examination by mail.
- Personnel Building, Room 100, 700 East Temple Street, Los Angeles, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.;
- Constituent Service Center, 8475 South Vermont Avenue, Los Angeles, on Mondays, Wednesday, and Thursdays only, from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.;
- Van Nuys-North Sherman Oaks One-Stop, Suite 140, 15400 Sherman Way, Van Nuys, on Tuesdays only, from 8:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.;
- Cypress Park Community Center, 929 Cypress Avenue, Los Angeles, on Wednesdays only, from 12:00 noon until 5:00 p.m.
Applications may also be obtained on the internet at http://www.lacity.org/PER/.
Click Here for instructions.
In the multiple-choice written test candidates may be examined for: written communication knowledge including correct spelling and English usage; reading comprehension; arithmetic; ability to read street maps; ability to follow instructions; and other necessary knowledges and abilities. Candidates who pass the written test will be placed on the eligible list and scheduled for the physical abilities test.
- Written Test . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100%
APPOINTMENT IS SUBJECT TO CANDIDATES:
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Animal Control Officers' initial assignments will be in positions which have been designated as temporary training positions by the Civil Service Commission. Employment in the temporary training positions will be limited to six months during which employees must successfully complete a comprehensive training program. Upon completion of the training program, employees will receive regular appointments to the class of Animal Control Officer and begin a six-month probationary period.
Other conditions of employment and job requirements are stated in the supplemental questionnaire to be completed and signed by all candidates.
- Being 21 years of age or older.
- Passing a physical abilities test designed to measure agility, flexibility, and physical strength. Each candidate passing the written test will be notified of the date(s) the physical abilities test will be administered and must pass it on the first attempt in order to be considered for appointment from this list.
- Passing a thorough medical examination, including a personality inventory evaluation administered by the Personnel Department.
- Passing a thorough and comprehensive background investigation.
- You may take this examination only once every 180 calendar days during the term of this bulletin.
- This examination is based on a content validation study, and as provided by Civil Service Commission Rule 4.20, the written test will not be subject to candidate inspection.
- A valid California driver's license is required upon appointment. Candidates who have a record of serious or frequent traffic violations may be disqualified.
- Based on City policy, before being hired in one of these positions, candidates may be required to undergo a drug and alcohol screening test.
- As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and, upon request, will provide reasonable accommodation to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities.
- Applications are accepted subject to review to ensure that minimum qualifications are met. Candidates may be disqualified at any time if it is determined that they do not possess the minimum qualifications stated on this bulletin.
THIS EXAMINATION IS TO BE GIVEN
ONLY ON AN OPEN COMPETITIVE BASIS
Code No. 4311CONT . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Open No. 81. . . . . . . . . .10-17-97(Rev. 08-31-01)
NOTICE: If you receive and accept an offer of employment to a regular position with the City of Los Angeles, your employee benefit coverage (including health and dental coverage as well as life insurance) will commence approximately six weeks after your original regular appointment. Not all positions in the City receive benefit coverage; you should inquire regarding the availability of employee benefits prior to accepting a position.